Cheyenne Walking

Life, love, and the pursuit of happiness in a midwestern town coupled with the drama of a virtual Walk Across America. What more could you ask for?!

Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Sunday, August 27, 2006


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Morning

"In the bus on the way to school next morning we passed 4 red cars in a row, which meant that it was a Good Day ... 4 yellow cars in a row made it a Black Day, which is a day I don't speak to anyone and sit on my own reading books and don't eat my lunch and Take No Risks." (Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Haddon, Mark, pg.24)

Cheyenne and I left early. It was still dark, the air cool and humid. Moisture condensed on my clothes and I was damp before I ever made the first cross street. It was a strange morning. I heard rustling in the bushes, and twigs snapping. Cheyenne and I both heard snorts and snuffles as we passed the woods. Usually in the morning we hear the insects singing-and that's it. So all this pre-dawn activity was disconcerting. Most mornings the joggers, runners, and dog-walkers say hello or nod as they pass. Today at the first Brown Light District (where development streets intersect with Jaycox) I said "Good morning" to two different people. They were hanging out just waiting for their dog to finish. Neither one replied! I was beginning to think this was going to be a bad day. We proceeded to the next corner. Surely someone in the next Brown Light District will say hello.
The rest of the walk was uneventful- I had shaken that ominous feeling and maybe today would be a good day after all. Our house was in sight, we almost made it when Cheyenne strained at her leash, pushed her head under a bush and started snorting furiously. She spread all fours and braced herself and started howling! Cheyenne had disturbed a baby skunk and he was high-tailing it across the yard!- Luckily for us-not too high because we escaped unscented.

So, how many weird things have to happen before I can call it a Black Day and sit home and read?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean- I can't get up either! At least you have Cheyenne to get you out of bed!

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home