Cheyenne Walking

Life, love, and the pursuit of happiness in a midwestern town coupled with the drama of a virtual Walk Across America. What more could you ask for?!

Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Monday, August 21, 2006

Denizens of the Dusk and Dawn

Today marks the beginning of another school year. Cheyenne and I have to do something I avoid at all costs: change. Instead of our leisurely three and a half mile walk with a cup of coffee in the middle, we went early this morning. It was still dark with just a hint of light in the sky. The night scents were still lingering on trash and treelawns. I planned to walk two miles, to the end of the street and back, but Cheyenne had to sniff and snort at every treelawn. Today is garbage pick-up so the treelawns were decorated with all sorts of goodies: open bags of trash, old furniture, piles of wood, and bags of yard debris. The denizens of the dawn had left their scent and Cheyenne spent the walk nose to the ground sniffing raccoon, skunk, and deer. She had a great time! I'm sure she walked twice as far as I did!

Our treelawn was particularly bountiful. Yesterday we emptied out the space above the garage. We pitched out the original doors, windows, and screens from our house, neon orange draperies that only Austin Powers could love, bicycle rims, a steel snow plow, and a rusted bed frame. We left the asbestos ceiling tiles for hazardous waste day. It was dusk by the time we got everything placed to the street. Down the street, passing slowly by, came the trash hauler, his pick-up heavily loaded and listing precariously to the right. He examined our trash. I was grateful that SOMEONE actually thought our trash (I should say Syd and Grace's trash) was worth taking a second look. He stopped, picked through it and took all our "heavy metal". I was relieved. Someone, somewhere might get some use out of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger M. Lubbers said...

Congrats on getting rid of some of the trash in the garage attic! One step at a time;)

And I liked the Austin Powers line. I remember those curtains! I can picture them now...

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you threw those out! I was saving those! All of it! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA guiltguiltguiltguilt.
Love,
Amy

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I would go up there thinking there HAD to be a treasure up there, amidst all that trash. I mean, there was so much junk -there HAD to be something good!? I was wrong. I never found anything. I got stung by a wasp. That's when i gave up on the treasure idea... there may still be one in the backyard though - i don't think i finished my search behind the playhouse...

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home