Cheyenne Walking

Life, love, and the pursuit of happiness in a midwestern town coupled with the drama of a virtual Walk Across America. What more could you ask for?!

Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Friday, March 30, 2007

In Memoriam


I learned some hard lessons this week. But this question remains. How can just 8 pounds of fur and whiskers cause your heart to break? I had to put my cat, Nick, to sleep this week. He had been diagnosed as having a hyperthyroid and put on medication. His appetite went down, he was severely anemic, then he caught an upper respiratory virus and couldn't shake it. After two days in the hospital getting meds and fluids through IV's, I got the news- he was getting worse and not going to improve. So we made arrangements for later that afternoon.
Our house is now down to one cat, Griffin, and one dog, Cheyenne. Nick may have been only 8 lbs. but he took up a lot of space in my heart. Griffin and Cheyenne have been wonderful taking up the slack. Griffin sits on my lap in the morning and keeps me company in the bathroom. (Nick never let him do that). Cheyenne makes sure I know she's there at night by sleeping on my feet and laying horizontally in bed. Every animal has its own personality and special qualities. Nick's was sensitivity and kindness. He could read my moods and acted accordingly. He was always around when I needed a pick-me-up. He would cuddle up under my chin and purr, "You are the best person in my world and I love you THIIIIIIIS MMUUUCH." And I would whisper to him, "Thank you for coming to live with me." I think animals select us because we need them. It doesn't matter if they are bought at the store or wander into our lives from the streets. They are a gift to us from the universe. I will spare you the cat stories but suffice it to say-I will miss his presents in my life.

1 Comments:

Blogger M. Lubbers said...

Nick was a wonderful cat. He will be missed!

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home