Cheyenne Walking

Life, love, and the pursuit of happiness in a midwestern town coupled with the drama of a virtual Walk Across America. What more could you ask for?!

Name:
Location: Ohio, United States

Monday, February 19, 2007

Tiptoe Through the Tulips


While having two days off during the week due to school closing-I spent a lot of time on the couch with a blanket pulled over my head. But those rare times when I did surface I got a great view of tulips out my front window. Well, not really tulips. I just can't bring myself to say the "i" word and I'd much rather think of them as tulips. Constantly berating myself for not enjoying the full beauty of winter -I decided to take tulips by the horn and do a little research. Did you know that there is a pop group, sunglasses, a vacation chalet in France, a ski club in Australia, and even a software program for Emacs, named Tulips? I never realized tulips were so popular. There's a pitcher named Tulip Reeder who pitched for the the Cincinnati Red Stockings in 1884. Even comics have their own tulip. In the DC Comic version, the Tulip escaped from the Green Lantern by diving off of a 20 story building into the Gotham River. I never realized there was so much going on with tulips. I always thought they were just another pretty face: pretty to look , pretty dangerous, and pretty destructive when hanging from the eaves of our house. The next time I pull my head out from under the blanket I will look with new appreciation at our tulips. (However, I am eagerly awaiting the real thing in May and June!)

Thanks to Blog Idea Guest- "BIG" Chuck for his help coming up with a topic -my brain is still frozen!

2 Comments:

Blogger M. Lubbers said...

I liked this entry! It took me a while to figure out what exactly the "tulips" were. A fun mental exercise in the middle of a humdrum day!:)

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Bruce Willis and Jimmie "tulips" Gambino(?), the mob hit man. He adds a different
personality to a variant list of names.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home